Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I Love My Mission

Dear Family (03/18/2014)
 
Hahah You know what mom I was just talking to Sister Sylar about that story of the temple this morning :) So funny. Love you so much.
 

 This week has been amazing!! There is so much to write so bear with me if my wording is weird because I'll be typing pretty fast today.

Tuesday:  As you know the mission is having us do 8 hours of service every week. SO every Tuesday here in River Trails we go to the Salvation Army and help serve food to the homeless people. I loved it J It was very humbling and sad for me to see a massive group of people rushing in to grab food because they hadn’t eaten for days. I almost started crying too when I saw the little children. One lady passed out because she hadn’t eaten for so long. Someone yelled out “Is anyone a doctor??” Everyone looked around with no response. I hurried over and told her that I was CPR and First Aid Certified and that I would assist as best I could. She started throwing up so I turned her to her side and laid out her legs.  But before I could help anymore the police got there and told me that they would take it from there. I felt pretty special that I could help J haha. Thanks mom for “making” me get certified J

 Thursday: Today we took Sister Brown out with us to teach a couple of lessons. We LOVE taking the members out teaching with us. It makes the work so much more fun and they can relate to our investigators so well. After teaching a less active we came out side to find it pouring rain! And previous to that we had parked on the opposite side of the apartment complex because we couldn’t find her building! SO, we started running through the rain. Within only a minute we were soaking wet. Sister Sylar, Sister brown and I were just are laughing so hard. It was a blast!

Saturday: Today the district got together for a service project. I really do enjoy spending time with the other missionaries.  We helped rake some leafs, clean some gutters, and cut down some branches for some members in the Hurst Ward. Me, Sister Sylar and two other Elders got to go on the roof to cut some branches.  Our district leader was climbing the trees to cut them down! So scary!! Those boys are so dangerous it’s ridiculous ;)  

Monday: I think I told y’all about Katie last week, but she is getting married next week so that she can get baptized that weekend! J She invited us to her wedding but we have a meeting that morning L But we are so happy that she is willing to give up drugs, smoking, swearing, AND is getting married so she can live the law of chastity! She has such a deep desire. Last night we went and taught her a wonderful lesson about the ten commandments and after she wanted us to see some of her dresses. Once we went into her closet though we had a dress up party! We were trying on all of her Russian hats and scarfs and taking a bunch of silly pictures. It was a blast J I love the bonds and friendships I have gained out her as a missionary. I would have never done that with someone like Katie but because I loved her as the Savior would.  I saw the person she really was. And I'm so grateful that I could share the gospel with her.

TODAY: This morning the Senior missionaries in our ward, Elder and Sister Watt, took us to the temple. Oh boy do I love the temple. It had been nine months since the last time I went. It was so nice to just sit in the Celestial Room and thank my Father in Heaven for the wonderful truths and blessings I have been given in my life. I want to work in the temple when I get home. Also when I was going through I saw Sister Day! She works there and it just so happened that we ran into each other. I gave her a big hug. Man do I love that women. It was so good to see her again. Makes me miss the Singles ward in Arlington.

So the mission has this TOP EIGHT that they send out every week. Me and Sister Sylar are on it every week! Its nuts how much we teach here. I have never had it like this my whole mission. Its so refreshing. J There is this guy named Jessie that we go see and his apartment is located in a really scary area that we aren’t allowed to go in at night. All of the windows have bars on them and we cant go in unless they come open the gate for us. So, when we go see him we just yell out his name through the gate!! Haha it makes me laugh so hard because he totally hears us! And he comes outside to let us in. It's soooo getto!!

I Love my Savior. I have grown tenfold from the beginning of my mission. I understand so deeply how important the gospel is. I will never be so grateful for the love that my Savior has for me and for what he has given me. Let us ever so shine so the world can see and yearn for that light! Don’t forget to be an example to others around you in the way you live your life. J I met this little girl the other day who dragged us around her house showing us all of her families things. After she showed us her room as we were walking out she said hold on guys look at my doll house!! Haha It totally reminded me of me when I was little. I was as crazy as it gets! “This is kylee and she has pretty hair!” ahahaha J
Love always Sister Porter
ps. we had dinner with a family whoes daughter just got home from her mission. made me a little home sick to see her having so much joy reuniting with her family! Can't wait to see my sweet family again. SO SOON! lots of love.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment