Monday, August 26, 2013

It is better to look up!

HOLA! :)
I'm sooo happy that Kylee did volleyball. She wont regret it. It will make things so different and she won't look back thinking "man, I wish I would have done volleyball."
 
I can't believe she is going to be a Senior! that makes me so excited for her. But so sad because time is flying!!  Makes me feel old...haha
 
How is work? Still the same? The work here is awesome!! I feel bad because nothing really new or too exciting has happened.....Im loving Sister Edwards. We are getting along a lot more know that we have gotten to know one another. We actaully have a lot in common. So our teaching has been really great. The spirit is so strong and so amazing.
 
Nephi 2:27:

"Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself."

I think sometimes we read  this scripture and quickly conclude that it is only talking about choosing righteousness over sin. It is true that this scripture is teaching that principle but if we look at a fuller meaning of this scipture we see that it is also teaching us that when we choose to listen to the dark thoughts of the adversary, such as discuragement, fear, self doubt..... we are choosing "captivity" over "freedom" which makes us miserable like the father of all lies.

In times of discouragement we must look to God and live! I love the personal experience shared by Elder Carl B. Cook of the Quorum of the Seventy. This experience states perfectly how I feel about this subject. Quoting from his October 2011 conference address:

"At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.

The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.

I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)

But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.”

As we parted, the words of a scripture came to mind: “Believe in God; believe that he is … ; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth.” As I thought of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ’s power, my heart found the comfort I had sought in vain from the floor of that descending elevator."




No comments:

Post a Comment